Thursday, March 22, 2012

Born. To. Run.


I’ve always loved running. Forever and ever, amen.

Unfortunately, my body doesn't agree with this notion. For example, here is my body's response to my most recent jaunt, “Sprint? Go for it. You run your little heart out! I’ll support you 110%! Wait, what? You want to run more?! … like, more than three miles ... AGAIN!? WTF, crazy-lady!”

{Insert IT Band and Hip Flexor bis-natches.}

What’s more frustrating than knowing you can do something, having the motivation to do it, and having a body that won’t cooperate?

N.O.T.H.I.N.G.

{Insert me reading Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall in three days. Followed by two afternoons of highlighting the text, re-reading, and bouncing around my house with hopeful glee.}

I have off and on trusted my instincts when it comes to my knees and running. And over the years, I've made teeny bits of progress. I always thought there was something to running without super-cushioned shoes.

Running with shoes = IT Band being a bitch.

Running with no shoes = IT Band pain non-existent, ankle soreness prevalent, with a side of left foot metatarsal pain.

But, I never trusted myself enough to follow through for very long. I always assumed I was doing more damage than good. And every PT, doctor, or ortho made me feel like that was the truth. They pushed orthotics, better shoes, more physical therapy, blah, blah, blah ...

I now have hope that previously I was simply doing too much, too soon—that barefoot, or cushion-less really IS my solution. I just need to put more time into my training. I need to step back and understand that it’s not about the shoes. It’s about form, stride, and how those cushioned shoes force me to run. In my case—not how I should.

So, as I said, I’m hopeful. I’m scared it won’t work, too. But, it’s either this, or I continue on my already-begun journey of finding something that both physically and emotionally makes me feel the way running does. And that’s no easy feat … pun intended.

Everyone cross your fingers (and your barefoot toes) for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment